All Buddhas are known for particular qualities — such as wisdom, compassion, fearlessness, boundless radiance etc.
When we recite a particular mantra, we are not praying to some external being, but to an aspect of our own natural perfection.
Whenever we find ourselves going over and over something in our mind, mantra recitation is a great way to ‘get out’ of that loop, and direct the mind in a positive direction.
Some mantras and a brief explanation of meaning:
- om ah hum is the invocation of the perfection of Form, Speech, and Mind
- om amideva hrih is the invocation of the fullness our own natural perfection
- om mani peme hum is the invocation of that aspect of our natural perfection that provides skillful means for spiritual cultivation
- om tare tuttare ture so’ha is the invocation of the perfection of fearlessness
- om vajrasattva hum is the invocation of the purifying aspect of our natural perfection
Love & Light!